Click for: Annual Report Cover Letter and Annual Report
Questions about behavior? See the Taylor School District Code of Conduct for answers.
- If you are absent, your parent must call the school or counselor with the reason for the absence.
- Make it your goal to never miss any school.
- Being absent can affect your grade and may result in loss of credit.
- It is the responsibility of each student to be in their seat and ready to work at the start of class.
- Students absent or suspended on the day of an after school activity will not be allowed to participate that day.
Your bus ride to and from school is a privilege. It can and will be taken from you if you demonstrate inappropriate bus behavior. Riders will remain seated when the bus is in motion and follow all instructions of the driver. The Code of Conduct applies to the Bus and Bus Stop.
Lockers will be assigned to you with your combination numbers. DO NOT SHARE your combination numbers or lockers. Students are not allowed to go to their lockers after 1st, 2nd, or 5th hours, and will carry their books to class as back packs are not permitted in classrooms.
Bathroom passes will be issued by the teacher only on an emergency basis during class. Students should use the restroom before school, during the cafeteria period, and after school. You must have a Taylor School District pass when in the halls during class time.
TARDY POLICY AT HOOVER MIDDLE SCHOOL
Students are expected to manage their time during the transition from class to class so they are not late. If they have a problem, with their locker for example, they should report it immediately to a nearby adult. Students who are late will go to the tutoring lab for that hour and will be assigned a detention.
This policy is for six class periods including enrichment.
LUNCH INFO. & EXPECTATIONS in the CAFETERIA
- The cost of lunch at Hoover School is $3.00
- All students enter and go to the appropriate line for lunch.
- Last names that begin with the letters A-L go to the lunch line near the windows
- Last name that begin with the letters M-Z go to the lunch line near the stage
- You may sit where you choose in the cafeteria unless you are assigned a seat.
- Once in your seat, you may not change tables without permission.
- Your talking should be soft and conversational at all times.
- When anyone uses the microphone, you are to cease all talking immediately.
- Each day, students will be given the opportunity to go to the gym to participate in an exercise program designed to be beneficial to all.
- You must dispose of your trash in the containers that are brought to your table by lunch personnel.
- You are responsible for disposing of all trash on, under, or near your table. No food is to be taken out of the cafeteria.
We expect our lunch personnel to be treated with respect.
THE CODE OF CONDUCT
Your good behavior and your respect for the feelings of others will ensure your having the best possible school and learning environment for a successful year. See it here. . .
State law forbids smoking or the use of any kind of tobacco on campus by students or adults. Students may not bring cigarettes, tobacco, or snuff to school. Teachers have been instructed to report smokers and to confiscate all tobacco and/or lighters found at school.
ALCOHOL, DRUGS, and WEAPONS
Any student under the influence of alcohol or drugs or in possession of alcohol, drugs, knives, firearms, or any weapon or toy weapon will be handled according to the district code of conduct. This could mean a FULL YEAR out of school or more and contact with the police.
DO NOT EVER BRING THE FOLLOWING TO SCHOOL OR THE BUS STOP:
- Toy Guns
- Water Guns
- Laser pointers
- Spraying device Paint Guns
FIRE DRILLS, TORNADO DRILLS, SECURE MODE DRILLS
Fire drills, tornado drills and secure mode drills will be conducted periodically throughout the school year. Everyone will move in an orderly and silent manner to points directed by their teachers where roll will be taken.
Conferences are held three times a year. Check your monthly calendar. In addition to the school district parent teacher conference in the fall, teachers can meet with parents by appointment. Call the main office to leave message for the teacher or e-mail the teacher directly.
Students must dress for physical education class. We encourage you to bring a separate lock for the gym lockers to secure your belongings. If a parent writes a note excluding their child from participation because of illness or injury, that note is good for one (1) day only. No more than two notes in succession will be accepted. Doctor: Any note from a doctor will be honored for the time specified. If no specific date or period of time for resumption of student participation is specified, a second note from the doctor will be required before the student will be permitted to participate.
It is the student's responsibility to complete all homework assignments. A zero for the missing homework will be recorded in the grade book. If a student is absent one day, he/she is given one day to turn in assignments, two days absent = two days to turn in assignments, etc. Parents should contact the counselor to request homework for absences of three days or longer. The teacher will notify parents when failure to turn in work becomes a problem. A conference will be held with the teacher, parent, student and principal, if this continues.
IF YOU ARE INJURED DURING THE SCHOOL DAY
- Immediately tell the teacher who was your teacher during the injury.
- The teacher will fill out an accident report.
- We will notify your parent when you come to the office accompanied by the teacher.
- We can provide ice, soap, bandages, etc. if needed.
IF YOU ARE SICK DURING THE SCHOOL DAY
- Tell your teacher so that he/she can give you a pass to go to the counseling office.
- Let the counselor know why you are in the office.
- The counselor will assist you in calling home and getting direction from your parent.
- If your parent chooses to pick you up from school, you will be sent to your locker to gather your belongings.
- Report back to the counseling office and you may leave after your parent signs you out of school.
All members of sport teams must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher. This is a district policy. We only check grade point averages at the card marking. There are no probation periods, no weekly checks or study tables at Hoover School.
HOOVER INCENTIVE PROGRAMS
Students with a 3.5 or higher grade point average for two consecutive card markings may qualify for the National Junior Honor Society. Candidates for NJHS must not have suspensions or poor conduct.
ATTENDANCE, CITIZENSHIP, AND RESPONSIBILITY INCENTIVES
Incentives will be held throughout the year with rewards such as:
- Dance for students who bring in all forms
- 8th grade Principal's Pride trip
- Ice Cream Socials