History About Former/present School Buildings:
*****Some of the information is incomplete. If you have any accurate informaion to help us complete this page, please email Caroline.Patts@taylorschools.net
Bartlett Elementary School (renamed Racho #2)
Bartlett was a preschool for a short period and an adult education center in the mid 1970's
closed June 2007
razed in 2010
Bernice McDowell Elementary School
Blair Moody Elementary School
built 1956 - 15 rooms
1959 - 10 rooms added
Brake Middle School
built 11/17/1958 (36 rooms)
reopened as The Sixth Grade Academy September 2007
closed June 2016
Clarence Randall Elementary School
1959 - 18 rooms added
Edgewood Elementary School
This school was razed & replaced by housing development.
Edison Elementary School
1948 - 2 rooms were added
1951 - 4 rooms were added
razed & replaced by a condominium complex. Condominium complex was torn down.
Eurekadale Elementary School
The Downriver Guidance Center Head Start Program currently occupies the building.
Eureka Heights Elementary School
Fairlane Elementary School
built 1950 - 10 rooms
1957 - 8 rooms added
Federal Elementary School (Dearborn Heights)
Now the Faith Covenant Church International.
Fred C. Fischer Elementary School
built 1958 - 14 rooms
closed June 2011.
Fletcher Elementary School
built 3/21/1938 (4 rooms)
1947 - 2 rooms added
1957 - 4 rooms added
1962 - 6 rooms added
scheduled for demolition summer 2016
G. Mennen Williams Elementary School
Remodeling done and renamed William D. Ford Senior Citizens Activity Center
Harry S. Truman High School
First graduating class 1974
Holland Elementary School
built - 9/17/58 - 7 rooms
7/8/71 - 8 rooms added
John F. Kennedy High School
First graduating class 1966
Kinyon Elementary School
built 1/12/1961 (13 rooms)
6/24/1964 - 10 rooms added
Lyndon B. Johnson Elementary School
renamed Johnson Preschool Center
preschool placed in (Randall, Myers, McDowell, Taylor Parks)
preschool was temporarily relocated back to Johnson after a fire in the preschool wing of Clarence Randall.
placed back into three schools. (McDowell, Moody, & Kinyon).
reopened September 2014 as the Johnson Early Childhood Program
Monroe Elementary School
built 1960 - 12 rooms
razed in 2011
The property is now used for greenspace.
Myers Elementary School
added 2 quad portables with 4 rooms each
quads removed 2010
Pine Elementary School
built 1960 - 10 rooms
Now the Taylor School District Maintenance Department.
Racho Elementary School #1
built 1953 - ten rooms
1971 - ten rooms added
This property is now used for green space.
Racho Elementary School #2
Bartlett was renamed as Racho
Closed June 2007
razed in 2010 used as green space
Formally Bartlett Elementary School, Special Education Department, and then Taylor Parks and Recreation Department.
Sand Hill Elementary School
1954 - 3 rooms added
turned into a residential home
Sixth Grade Academy (Formally called Brake Jr. High)
opened September 2007
Closed June 2016
Smith Elementary School
Taylor Center Elementary School
1949 - six rooms added
Taylor Center High School
1956 - second unit
1957 - third unit
Closed 1997-- two wings of the school were razed some time later, with the remaining portions being fully razed in 2011. The property is now used for greenspace.
Taylor Center Junior High School
Houses the district Registration & Pupil Accounting Office, State and Federal Office, and School Improvement Offices on the second floor. TITAN Alternative School is housed on the first floor, as is the district Athletic Office. The Chopping Block Restaurant is also located here.
TITAN school moved to Truman High School 2015-16 school year.
Taylor Parks Elementary School
1946 - seven rooms were added
1950 - eight rooms were added
1962 - ten rooms were added
Treadwell Elementary School (originally named Gordonier School)
built 3/14/1938 (4 rooms)
1938 -1958 - 4 rooms added
1958 - 4 rooms added
May 1962 - Multi purpose room and Music room added
Closed June 2006
Sold - The King of Kings Christian Center.
Truman Junior High School (in same building as Truman High School)
Converted to just Truman High School
Wareing Elementary School (originally named Fairlane Elementary School)
built - 11/9/1956 (10 rooms)
12/12/1958 - 8 rooms added
Closed June 2007
Leased to K-9 Academy Training Facility Fall 2013
West Junior High School
William J. Myers Elementary School